The journey of life is filled with curves, bumps, and straight roads. Our journey has been interesting and for the last five years, our road has been filled with surprises and challenges. Please join us on this journey.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Javad's Place Buddy Program

The Buddy Program is officially in the works. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Buddy Program being offered through Javad's Place, let me enlighten you! :)

Javad's Place is a non-profit that I am putting together to do a variety of things including Family Advocacy, Equipment Exchange, and the Buddy Program. The Buddy Program will be designed to pair up children and families, one with a disability and one without, to provide "play dates" for the children. As the parent of a child with a profound physical disability, I can honestly say that one of my biggest concerns is that Javad will not have many opportunities to have normal play activities. This has been the information I have received from other families as well. Children can become emotionally and physically isolated from their peers and the Buddy Program will start to break down those walls. In my perfect world, this program will help break down the walls and open up a clearing for acceptance and playfulness.

Families would receive training about the opposite family's child, and there would be an open discussion regarding concerns. The ideal situation would involve families seeing the value of this friendship for both themselves and their children, both short and long term.

I am going to get organizations on board to provide (what I hope will be) monthly events for participants. The more things that families can do together, the more comfortable that they will be with each other. I am going to start with one to two schools this next year, then look to expand the following year. I will be fundraising and looking to sponsor events. The project? Create a manual outlining the Buddy Project, giving the educational outcomes, creating the possibility of what it can bring to each school that implements it. I am also going to create the Kick-Off Event (I am hoping at the Portland Zoo) where there will be media coverage that will highlight the Program.

This is a new chapter in our lives, one that I am excited for.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Hi Shannon -
You and I have a lot in common. I have a son - Jack, who was born with a congenital muscular dystrophy and is ventilator dependent. He is 8 years old. I also have three other children and work full time outside the home. I can't remember how I found Javad's website, but I have been following his story for the last year or so. I can relate to a lot of what you talk about. I too have a blog for Jack -- I originally set it up last summer when Jack was having spinal fusion surgery to keep family and friends updated on his progress. I've kept it going ever since. I hope Javad is feeling better soon.

Ann Schrooten
Jack's blog:
http://jack-schrooten.blogspot.com/

Ann said...

P.S. I love your Buddy Program idea. I wish you much success with it.

Ann